Thursday, March 31, 2005

bareback

The story of AIDS is a romantic epic. High drama, despair, movies about it, songs about it. It is a story told to me by my forefathers, like a story of a great battle told to young men by war veterans. It's not something current, it's in the past.

On the Clark bus. Hot older gay man with green bomber jacket and 501 jeans holding free "boi" magazine.

AIDS often occurs to when I see older gay men. Like survivors of the gay holocaust, How did they survive? I would have been dead. I would have had so much promiscuous Technicolor sex all over the place in the seventies and eighties. My fate would have been inescapable.

How did he survive? Was he not out yet- reluctantly sleeping with women that looked like Olivia Newton-John? Married maybe? Or was he strictly a top (a little less risky than being a bottom)?

Is there a whole generation of top men that survived? And is there a whole generation of bottom boys in heaven, beautiful gay angels in heaven with hot butts?

The story told to me now is of happy healthy men canoeing and laughing, rejoicing because of their new found freedom with the latest protease inhibitor. It's not scary. It's something that can be dealt with easily with a little help from our pharmaceutical companies, no worries.

1 comment: