Friday, January 27, 2006

truthiness

finished watching oprah/james frey episode.

lies are interesting. why we lie. to look better or, as in frey's case, to look worse. to get something. to get out of something.

or when we build a different version of events (not even thinking about it) to suit our self esteem or to justify something. repositioning and deleting elements of truth and airbrushing out the things we dont like. a defense mechanism.

but when money or success or fame gets involved that mechanism goes into overdrive. and we lie our heads off.

even when i write a bad check at jewel knowing that i will have the money in two days or whatever so the check can clear...i sign that check with a big fat happy lying signature. show me the money.

lying will always bite you in the ass. always, never fails. the truth will too, but at least it's the truth.

that's why those personality tests they have for employment are so hard. i failed one once. my friend was working at circuit city and she said i should work there too. i had to take the test and they started in with the "it's always wrong to steal" and "i always tell the truth to people even though it might hurt their feelings" questions. i lied so many times and got confused and went all over the place, my head was spinning when i was done. i didnt know who i was when i finished. my friend called me back and told me that i had failed the test.

anyway, my daughter is yelling for me in the next room. plus i need to get some sleep-- my dolphins and my new dolphin tank are being delivered tomorrow! things have been much better since i've moved to spain.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:29 AM

    So, then it begs the question, based on those tests you took, and the very introspective look it dealt you, do you feel that you are a liar? (note, I'm not saying that you are) I think we like to think we tell the truth, but in all honesty for everyday living, lying is necessary, we'd be in serious trouble without it. That is not to say that a lie should be told that causes harm to one's self, or others. But damn, if it gets you a million bucks.. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONTEST OVER AT MY PLACE.

    ReplyDelete