Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Woman Scorned


I recently rented "A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story" with Ms. Meredith Baxter (no longer Birney). I watched it at Kara's house and it was such an enjoyable night. I highly recommend this movie. If you don't know this true story, it's about a couple in the eighties whose marriage ended in murder. If you liked Mommie Dearest, you'll love this movie.

The movie was made for tv (I can't get enough of made for tv movies right now). When it originally aired the movie was so successful that it spawned a sequel "Her Final Fury" Both movies have recently been released on a one disc DVD that has a great audio commentary by Meredith and the director.

Anywayyy, Betty Broderick was diagnosed with Narcissistic personality disorder. Just for fun let's do a psych evaluation on myself and see if I have this disorder. Such a fun game.

Diagnostic Criteria from the DSM IV:

WARNING! The specified diagnostic criteria for each mental disorder are offered as guidelines for making diagnoses, because it has been demonstrated that the use of such criteria enhances agreement among clinicians and investigators. The proper use of these criteria requires specialized clinical training that provides both a body of knowledge and clinical skills.

Diagnostic criteria for 301.81 Narcissistic Personality Disorder
(cautionary statement)

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy YES or behavior SOMETIMES), need for admiration YES, and lack of empathy NO, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements) Don't know if I expect to be recognized as superior. But I do often have exaggerated feelings of self importance. So I don't know. I don't think I exaggerate my achievements too too much, so OVERALL= NO

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success YES, power YES, brilliance YES, beauty I DO LIKE TO MAKE PICTURES OF MYSELF AND POST THEM ON MY BLOG- BUT I DONT THINK I AM BEAUTIFUL BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION, or ideal love NO OVERALL= YES

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique YES, BUT THAT'S NORMAL ISNT IT? OH GOD I'M NOT BETTY BRODERICK AM I? and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions) NO
OVERALL= YES

(4) requires excessive admiration NOT EXCESSIVE, BUT A LITTLE LOVE IS GOOD.
OVERALL= NO

(5) has a sense of entitlement YES, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations NO
OVERALL= NO

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends I DONT THINK SO.
OVERALL= NO

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others NO
OVERALL= NO

(8) is often envious of others YES or believes that others are envious of him or her SOMETIMES
or RARELY
OVERALL= YES

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes THIS IS A TOUGH ONE. IF I DO, IT'S ACCIDENTAL- I THINK IT'S PROBABLY A DEFENSE MECHANISM.
OVERALL= NO

3 out of 9. Whew, I don't have
Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Tune in next week to see if I am schizophrenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment