Thursday, May 11, 2006

2 cokes 1 sprite

My teacher emailed me to ask me if I could bring in something for an end-of-semester potluck party for the class. I really struggled with what to bring. I emailed her back- "Pop?" She said "Great, Thanks!"

I felt really uncomfortable with my decision. What is this third grade? "I'll bring pop!" Stupid, I'm so stupid. Why did I say that?

I have had such low self esteem lately that the simple act of bringing a beverage to a classroom party sent me into a tailspin. I went to the 7-11 and almost started crying. Do people even drink pop? Is that totally stupid? And what do I pick out? Coke? Diet Coke? It all started seeming so ridiculous to me.

I chose to buy 2 Coke and 1 Sprite 2 liters. Would people laugh at my choices? It just seemed so ridiculous. "What's with the Sprite, dork?"

I went to class and had my bags of coca cola and sprite and 2 sleeves of styrofoam cups. Jesus Christ! Big fat Styrofoam cups. "Nice cups, asshole. Why'd you get THESE." I wanted to put the bags on a table and sit down quickly so no one would notice what idiot brought them in. There was no table. I had to sit with my two bags at my desk.

Eventually, we set out all the bags of chips and assorted junk food on desks that were pushed together. People started making little plates of chips and to my surprise they started filling their cups with coke and sprite. No one cackled in laughter. No one said "Whoever brought the coke is really stupid!" People simply drank the coke.

I looked around after awhile and many people had styrofoam cups filled with what I bought at the 7-11. They didn't seem to think it was abnormal or stupid in anyway.

It was seriously one of the nicest things that happened all week.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:31 PM

    I have so many moments like this. I'm going skydiving in the morning and what worries me is being fat (really tall people who are also heavy apparently cause "velocity issues"). Crashing to the earth from 2 miles up is not giving me ANY anxiety, but I'm terrified they're going to have to give me a special parachute with "Jumbo Jumper" on it or something. Sad, so very sad.

    ReplyDelete