Sunday, October 10, 2004

Barbasol!

I didn't use shaving cream for the longest time. I would usually use regular old soap or conditioner to shave with. Then I discovered all the deliciously fragrant flavors of shaving cream that are available to women and men. Glistening Pear, Tropical Fruit, Thanksgiving Dinner, etc.

I was shopping for toiletries one day, trying to budget. The cheapest shaving cream available was Barbasol. I liked the way it looked with it's barber pole design, the alternating red and white. Very masculine. Very suburban dad in the late seventies dressing up for a dinner party at the Benson's house on a winter evening. He's in an unhappy marriage and everyone knows it. He's very hot for Susan Benson, the blonde hostess. Maybe he'll wind up in the garage with her- making out on top of the car, while the rest of the party snorts coke off of a glass coffee table. Susan Benson will always remember the smell of Barbasol. She'll buy it for her own husband, but it's not the same as that winter night on top of the car.

The Barbasol can doesn't have a rustproof bottom. I shave in the shower and it left rust rings all over the tile, that can only be removed with bleach. I had to wrap a plastic bag around it so I didn't have to keep scrubbing the tile clean. I won't buy Barbasol again. Back to Gilette or something with metallic sports car fonts and graphics. It's not as sexy as my Barbasol fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment