Sunday, October 03, 2004

how i got the scar on my nose



When I was a child, I dressed up and performed shows in my basement to an invisible audience- lip-synching to songs and what not. In one of my performances, I decided to dress up as my version of Bette Midler- who I loved. I decided that for my opening number I would wear a porcelain Asian mask on my face. I could not figure out how to attach the mask as I would be dancing and it would surely slip off if I only used the flimsy decorative ribbon it came with.

I went to my dad's tool chest and found some chemistry goggles. These would be perfect because they would add a futuristic look to my big number, and they would keep the mask in place. While the opening chords of Bette Midler's Oh Industry (a song about industrialization and the depression of the working man) began to play, I held the mask on my face and slipped the chemistry goggles over it.

As I firmly tightened the straps of the goggles, the porcelain mask suddenly cracked and sliced into the bridge of my nose. I began to scream, my mother rushed down the stairs and saw me in my mask now shattered and dripping with blood. She got me in the car and had my father drive us the hospital. On the way, my dad, a bighearted guy, someone who beats himself up for everything, shook his head and said, "I should have warned you not to do that."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:13 PM

    fantastic story...you are now on my list of heroes.

    Macaire
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/macaire

    ReplyDelete