Sunday, October 31, 2004

Comfort Food

I'm writing this while my microwave macaroni and cheese "sets" in the microwave. I don't like it to be too hot or too saucy. It needs to sit in the microwave and coagulate a bit.

I read in the newspaper that Rupaul was going to be at Borders today, signing cd's. Rupaul was one of my idols, growing up and coming out. I remember seeing the video for "Supermodel (You Better Work)" for the first time and being blown away. It was okay. I was okay.

I waited in line for an hour and fifteen minutes. It was hot and stuffy and I was wearing a winter coat and jacket. Slightly annoyed but understanding of the nervous kids behind me making comments about people's clothing choices. "Look at crazy over there in pajama pants."

When Rupaul came out, things started getting going, I started having fun. Chills.

When it was my turn to meet with Rupaul, all that came out was--"I really like your blog."

I had the strangest sensation. Like she should know me.

"Remember me? I watched you on MTV after my jaw surgery. You made me feel better and I taped your video and played it over and over. Remember that?"

Walking around boystown, waiting to meet Rob, I listened to her cd. Looking at everyone in their halloween costumes, people smiling, really enjoying the season. Seventeen again! Something waking up inside me. A stereophonic voice telling me it was okay. I was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment