Friday, February 04, 2005

suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste



I wake up for six hours or so and then back down. The big ugly baby needs to go back down for his six hour nap and then up again and then back down. When I'm up, my ass is parked right in front of that television.

Let's see I watched a documentary on HBO about people who were born on or before 1900, "A Century of Living." Great older people talking about their lives. Not one of them talked about how they struggled with depression and watched tv all day. No, they worked. They worked their fingers to the bone through World War I, The Great Depression, World War II, etc. They weren't watching infomercials and updating their blogs.

Cathy Mitchell's back! The star of the Turbo Cooker informercial is at it again with the "Chef Wizard" -- "Works like a Whisk, Tongs, Server & more." Cathy's always been there for me. Her energy is infectious and limitless. I wonder what her life is like. I bet she has a nice home in California. Her life is probably very full, with children and grandchildren always over. Having "Turbo Cooker" cookouts. "It's like Grand Central Station around here," she probably says. But I'm sure Cathy treasures the quiet time. Just to sit in her favorite chair and read the latest Patricia Cornwell is what Cathy cherishes most.

Ellen is there for me. On Oxygen every night. I can only take the aqua and bleached wood set in small doses. Time seems to stop on "The Ellen Degeneres Show." Things are a bit too happy, things run a bit too smoothly. I love her, but I'm not sure she knows where I'm coming from.

Now, I was right there with Rosie. We all knew Rosie O'Donnell had a little bonfire in her. One day she rips Tom Selleck a new one, comes out of the closet, cancels her show, leads a Million Mom March, shaves off one side of her hair and starts driving around Miami on a moped with her girlfriend holding on for dear life. I miss Rosie a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment