Tuesday, February 01, 2005

favorite songs

All your wishing has finally come true, I am finally posting some of my all time favorite songs ever, to date. The first five people who email me will receive a free cd of all these songs. (Stealing this idea from friend, Rob)

Email me now!!
Just include your mailing address in your email.


1. "Causing A Commotion" by Madonna



This is my all time favorite Madonna song. Its synthesized cartoon pop, just the way I like it. Think of a Japanamition 1987 Madonna in a boxing ring.

2. "I Wanna Stay Home" by Jellyfish



I listened to this song when I was a freshman in high school. I walked to my grandma's house for lunch with my headphones on. When I got there I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and watched The Match Game. I wished I could just stay home all day (away from the rat race of high school) watching game shows. Be careful what you wish for.



3. "So Hard" by The Pet Shop Boys



The trip my roommate and I took to San Francisco after high school was the best week of my life. After a mind blowing (literally) night we decided to go to a nude beach (why not?) and decided to walk through The Presidio to get there. It was such a long long long walk and I was so so so hungover. We stopped at The Body Shop and bought some sort of after sun spray and kept spraying it all over us. Annnywayy, I remember listening to this song a lot. A very dramatic pop song about a stormy gay relationship.


4. "Come Back to Me" by Janet Jackson




The video for this song has a pre plastic surgery, not anorexic, natural looking Janet wandering through a foggy, rainy morning in Paris lamenting a lost love. It's a pretty basic unrequited love song. I just like to pretend that I am in a foggy, rainy morning in Paris lamenting a lost love when I listen to it. Janet's voice is so soft, so tender mixed deliciously with rain sound effects. What more could you ask for, really?

5. "Goodye Earl" by Dixie Chicks



Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks is the cutest punk rock/country chick since Dolly Parton and there was no need for her to apologize for dissing George W. This is a very happy song about a woman poisoning her husband. When my sister and my nephew and I went to California we listened to this song a lot. My nephew, who was about three, knew all the lyrics by heart and sang along. My mom thought it was inappropriate.

6. "Crackers" by Barbara Mandrell



This was my first favorite song. It's simple, it gets to the point. Basically, if you come back to me, you can eat crackers in my bed.


7. "Sunday Morning" by No Doubt




This song reminds me of a camping trip I took with friends. We took a van to somewhere in Wiconsin and I insisted on listening to this song a lot and I would put on a performance. Happy, fun, California, citrusy, juicy song.

8. "Just When I Needed You Most" by Dolly Parton



I was in love with a boy and realized it would never work out, because he was well, straight. (If you are wondering who this was, it doesn't really matter. It happens with all my straight male friends, comes with the territory, I get over it. Don't flatter yourselves, fellas.) So, for what seemed like forever I stayed in my basement room at my parents feeling sorry for myself. I purchased electric pink Christmas lights and hung them bordering the ceiling of my room. It cast this heartsick pink glow and I let Dolly comfort me.

9. "Here Comes the Flood" by Peter Gabriel



This song really sums up being depressed. I first heard Bette Midler's version and fell in love, but Peter Gabriel's version is more chilling for me.


10. "Love at First Sight" Kylie Minogue




More of that synchronized, tingling, bubble pop we all know and love. Kylie Minogue or her producers or whoever puts together these songs really knows the way to a gay man's heart.

11. "Hands Clean" by Alanis Morrisette



Oooohhh girl, Alanis is pissed again. She's ripping that guy she's always angry with a new one. This time it's more subtle, singing from the asshole's point of view. A gentle knife in the back.

12. "Little Red Corvette" by Sandra Bernhard



I always include this song on every first mix I make for people. Sandra's version of this Prince's anthem takes it to a new level. Like everything Sandra does, it transports you into her wonderful, whimsical, imaginative, magical world.


13. "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan" by Marianne Faithful




Marriane Faithful's voice is so tragic, battered and beaten. I first heard this song on the Thelma and Louise soundtrack. Sad song about a woman who realizes that she'll never drive through Paris in a sportscar.

14. "Come Back Jimmy Dean" by Bette Midler



I like this song because (at least for me) it's about being lonely and wishing that you were living in that simpler time. Etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

15. "Stan" by Eminem



For some reason, this song used to make me cry (or get choked up) whenever I listened to it. Recently, I was at a crosswalk and saw this guy in a car. He looked like he was a fan of Eminem and was dressed just like him. I think it's interesting how when some of us get lonely, we create relationships with people we see on tv or in movies or in books we read. We want to become them. We all do it, i think. We need to escape our own boring lives. (Because we don't like ourselves?) This practice of escaping is big business. Oprah is the biggest example, a whole nation's best friend. This song is a little dramatic, but I love it.

16. "The Tide is High" by Blondie




I have a fascination with 1980's San Francisco. This is the opening song of the movie "Longtime Companion," which starts there. I would have loved to be in this seemingly carefree sexy gay world (I'm sure it wasn't quite this simple), this song transports me there. Just wearing tiny shorts, with muscular tanned legs cruising the streets of San Franciso.

17. "This Time I Know It's For Real" by Donna Summer



Don't know why I love this song so much. It's just Donna Summer and great 80's pop music.

18. "This I Swear" by Nick Lachey



And don't tell me you don't love this song. It will be first dance at my wedding to Nick Lachey when he gets divorced from Jessica Simpson.

19. "I Miss You" by Blink 182



What could be better than an easily digestable pop/punk rock/love song? Makes you want to get your lip pierced and pretend you're living in a nasty apartment in San Diego, complaining about your roommates dog who craps all over the place.

1 comment:

  1. Is it possible that I might win that Madonna CD from you? Just trying.

    ReplyDelete