Saturday, February 17, 2007

dear diary





I appreciate being able to purchase singles again (via iTunes). For awhile we were forced to buy entire cd's. It sort of takes the fun out of a smartly produced bubblegum pop song when you have to be subjected to other songs that are clearly just there for filler. When you want to hear the deliciously candy coated "Oops!...I Did It Again" but don't want to hear Britney's inner dialogue in a throwaway song like "Dear Diary."

Hooray for cheap fun singles. Hooray for SexyBack. Hooray for Hey Ya! Hooray for Bad Day, the American Idol exit song. These songs will remind me of winter depression or summer drunkeness.

I was thinking about 45's I owned. I played them on my Fisher Price record player and then later, on a stereo system that I got from Santa Claus and lasted me until I was in high school.

45's I remember enjoying that eventually became unplayable.
Mickey by Toni Basil
Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
Physical by Olivia Newton-John
Cold Hearted Snake by Paula Abdul


And B-Sides! Vogue, one of Madonna's most singles was originally going to be a B-Side to "Keep It Together." Can you imagine?

I'm afraid my enthusiasm for this topic has been exhausted. I am officially sick, which is not fair. There were severeal weeks this winter when it was very trendy to be sick. As usual, I jumped on the bandwagon too late.

Just like with music. I was very afraid of Nirvana when they were popular. Kurt Cobain and the rest of them were children of the devil to me. Years later I purchased their albums and bought Kurt Cobain's diary (an innapropriate venture for Courtney Love, but fascinating nonetheless). I am a late bloomer in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment