Tuesday, February 21, 2006

jeremy's best picture oscar pic



I think it's pretty clear that it's going to be a BIG night for "Big Business." Although it wasn't oficially nominated, the buzz is huge- especially around my apartment. While Lily and Bette are sure to bring home some gold doorstoppers, Seth Grenn as Bette's son is the one everyone is talking about.

This year I made a point of seeing all the Oscar movies. Big mistake. Big waste of time and money. Even the Milk Duds and Twizzlers and Cherry Pepsis and Large Popcorns
with extra butter and "napkins" made out of toilet paper didn't do anything to make these cinematic crapsicles any better. As for the real nominees here are my reviews:


Bareback Mountain

Beans. Wrestling. Beans. Sex. Wrestling. Shirts.
Contrived unrealistic relationship.(Although real relationships to me seem contrived and I've never had a boyfriend, let alone a cowboy boyfriend, let alone a barebackin brokebackin, cowboy boyfriend.) I did like Michelle Williams, although she was laughed at in the theater when she was crying. She is the only one I related to in the movie. And she was in "Dick" with Kirsten Dunst, another favorite of mine, which I hear might be another contender this year.


Munich

Guys run around blowing up beds and phones and shoot each other for two and a half hours. Fell asleep twice. Bullet holes with blood squirting out of them does not a good movie make. Big Business did not have any violence and yet it still made a statement about an important issue. Careless nurses who don't have good eyesight are mixing up newborn sets of twins all around this country. Big Business should be an A-Ha! moment for this country. This is an epidemic.

Crash
This one. Don't get me started. I only watched the first ten minutes, I get the point. We should be aware of the undercurrent of subtle racism in this country. Got it. Not gonna watch anymore. Why? Because there is another movie with not one but two Bette Midlers and not one but two Lily Tomlins. Need I say more?


Capote

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was great! Just a smidge caricuture-ish, but Capote was a caricuture of himself. Like I have any idea. Anyway, so he was good.
BUT WHAT THE FUCK WAS UP WITH THE EDITING. Seriously they'd get to the end of a sceandthen they would jumpinto something else and then one sceeennneee woooulldd beee waayyyy too looonggg foooorr nnnnoo rreeasson and then theyd jumpINTO another scen and it was AllOVeR the Pllace with nNNo rhyme or reas-

Good night, and Good luck
It was the first one I saw out of all of them and didn't go to see it because it was Oscar picked but because we learned about Edward R. Murrow in school and blah blah blah. So, it was good. Have an issue with George Clooney but I'm learning to like him. It was pretty good. I enjoyed myself. The only thing it could have learned from Big Business is to end the movie with all the characters pairing up and living happily ever after and to have "(Bring Me A) Higher Love" play over the credits. If you want to seal the deal in my book, you have to have "(Bring Me A) Higher Love" play over the credits. It just sends a positive message to the audience and that's what you want to do whether it's a movie about terrorism at the Olympics or Joseph McCarthy.

Well, although the winner this year is clear (Big Business) it should be a fun night. I'll be watching Joan and Melissa on the TV Guide Channel like everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:57 PM

    That's all fine, but you've skirted the real issue here: there's only one Best Actress Oscar, and who's it going to be: Bette or Lily? Or do you think it's going to be another tie, like Katherine Hepburn for The Lion in Winter and Barbra Streisand for Funny Girl?

    ReplyDelete