Saturday, October 22, 2005

standing outside a car with a baby inside

There was a period in my life when it seemed I was always standing outside a car with a baby inside, smoking a cigarette. Either my sister or one of my female friends would want me to wait outside a store with a baby for a quick second while they ran in to get something. "Do you mind if I just stand outside and have a cigarette," I would ask.

So, I would be standing in a suburban parking lot leaning up against a car with a baby staring at me. The mother of the baby would take a little longer- a chance to get away for a second. If the baby cried I would try to entertain he or she through the window, sing or say silly things or make faces.

But the babies didn't put up with it for too long. They knew it was silly for me to be standing outside the car, smoking. They would get impatient with the crazy guy outside making stupid faces.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:28 AM

    jeremy, i can picture you doing that. i love your web site. we're having a halloween get together oct 29 sat. i'll get back to you.
    i miss you,
    ryan

    ReplyDelete